Publications and abstracts
STAR Researchers love to engage in direct discussions and share their findings early on international conferences and meetings. See our list of abstracts and other dissemination meetings.
STAR Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
1. d’Elbée, M. ; Indravudh, P.P. ; Mwenge, L. ; Kumwenda, M.M. ; Simwinga, M. ; Choko, A.T. ; Hensen, B. ; Neuman, M. ; Ong, J.J. ; Sibanda, E.L. ; Johnson, C.C. ; Hatzold, K. ; Cowan, F.M. ; Ayles, H. ; Corbett, E.L. ; Terris-Prestholt, F. ; Preferences for linkage to HIV care services following a reactive self-test: discrete choice experiments in Malawi and Zambia. AIDS (2018) ; DOI: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000001918; PMID: 29894386 ; Accepted Manuscript
2. Augustine T. Choko, Elizabeth L. Corbett, Nigel Stallard, Hendramoorthy Maheswaran, Aurelia Lepine, Cheryl C. Johnson, Doreen Sakala, Thokozani Kalua, Moses Kumwenda, Richard Hayes, Katherine Fielding. Effect of HIV self-testing alone or with additional interventions including financial incentives on linkage to care or prevention among male partners of antenatal care attendees in Malawi: An adaptive multi-arm multi-stage cluster randomised trial. PLoS Med. 2019 Jan; 16(1): e1002719. Published online 2019 Jan 2. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002719
3. Neuman M, Indravudh P, Chilongosi R, d’Elbée M, Desmond N,, Fielding K, Hensen B, Johnson C, Mkandawire P, Mwinga A, Nalubamba M0, Ncube G, Nyirenda L, Nyrienda R, Kampe EOI, Taegtmeyer M, Terris-Prestholt F, Weiss HA, Hatzold K, Ayles H, Corbett EL,The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of community-based lay distribution of HIV self-tests in increasing uptake of HIV testing among adults in rural Malawi and rural and peri-urban Zambia: protocol for STAR (self-testing for Africa) cluster randomized evaluations. BMC Public Health. 2018; 18: 1234. Published online 2018 Nov 6. doi: 10.1186/s12889-018-6120-3
4. Desmond, N. ; Nagelkerke, N. ; Lora, W. ; Chipeta, E. ; Sambo, M. ; Kumwenda, M. ; Corbett, E.L. ; Taegtemeyer, M. ; Seeley, J. ; Lalloo, D.G. ; Theobald, S. ; Measuring sexual behaviour in Malawi: a triangulation of three data collection instruments. BMC Public Health. 2018; 18: 807. Published online 2018 Jun 28. doi: 10.1186/s12889-018-5717-x
5. Linda Sande, Hendramoorthy Maheswaran, Collin Mangenah, Lawrence Mwenge, Pitchaya Indravudh, Phillip Mkandawire, Nurilign Ahmed, Marc d’Elbee, Cheryl Johnson, Karin Hatzold, Elizabeth L. Corbett, Melissa Neuman, Fern Terris-Prestholt, Costs of accessing HIV testing services among rural Malawi communities. AIDS Care. 2018; 30(Suppl 3): 27–36. Published online 2018 Jul 8. doi:10.1080/09540121.2018.1479032
6. Carmen Figueroa, Cheryl Johnson, Nathan Ford, Anita Sands, Shona Dalal, Robyn Meurant, Irena Prat, Karin Hatzold, Willy Urassa, Rachel Baggaley, Reliability of HIV rapid diagnostic tests for self-testing compared with testing by health-care workers: a systematic review and meta-analysis, Lancet HIV. 2018 Jun; 5(6): e277–e290. Published online 2018 Apr 24. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3018(18)30044-4
7. Kumwenda, M.K. ; Corbett, E.L. ; Chikovore, J. ; Phiri, M. ; Mwale, D. ; Choko, A.T. ; Nliwasa, M. ; Sambakunsi, R. ; Taegtmeyer, M. ; Gutteberg, T.J. ; Munthali, A. ; Desmond, N. ; Discordance, Disclosure and Normative Gender Roles: Barriers to Couple Testing Within a Community-Level HIV Self-Testing Intervention in Urban Blantyre, Malawi. AIDS Behav. 2018; 22(8): 2491–2499. Published online 2018 Feb 6. doi: 10.1007/s10461-018-2038-0
8. Pitchaya P. Indravudh, Augustine T. Choko, Elizabeth L. Corbett Scaling up HIV self-testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a review of technology, policy and evidence, Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2018 Feb; 31(1): 14–24. Published online 2018 Jan 4. doi: 10.1097/QCO.0000000000000426
9. Lawrence Mwenge, Linda Sande, Collin Mangenah, Nurilign Ahmed, Sarah Kanema, Marc d’Elbée, Euphemia Sibanda, Thokozani Kalua, Gertrude Ncube, Cheryl C. Johnson, Karin Hatzold, Frances M. Cowan, Elizabeth L. Corbett, Helen Ayles, Hendramoorthy Maheswaran, Fern Terris-Prestholt, Costs of facility-based HIV testing in Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe, PLoS One. 2017; 12(10): e0185740. Published online 2017 Oct 16. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0185740
10. Indravudh PP, Sibanda EL, d’Elbée M, Kumwenda MK, Ringwald B, Maringwa G, Simwinga M, Nyirenda LJ, Johnson CC, Hatzold K, Terris-Prestholt F, Taegtmeyer M. ‘I will choose when to test, where I want to test’: investigating young people’s preferences for HIV self-testing in Malawi and Zimbabwe, AIDS. 2017 Jul 1; 31(Suppl 3): S203–S212. Published online 2017 Jul 1.
11. Choko A., Kumwenda M, Johnson C, Sakala D, Chikalipo M, Fielding K, Chikovore J, Desmond N. Corbett E, Acceptability of woman-delivered HIV self-testing to the male partner, and additional interventions: a qualitative study of antenatal care participants in Malawi, J Int AIDS Soc. 2017; 20(1): 21610. Published online 2017 Jun 26. doi: 10.7448/IAS.20.1.21610
12. Cheryl C Johnson, Caitlin Kennedy, Virginia Fonner, Nandi Siegfried, Carmen Figueroa, Shona Dalal, Anita Sands, Rachel Baggaley, Examining the effects of HIV self-testing compared to standard HIV testing services: a systematic review and meta-analysis, J Int AIDS Soc. 2017; 20(1): 21594. Published online 2017 May 15. doi: 10.7448/IAS.20.1.21594
Further publications from STAR Authors
- Maheswaran H, Clarke A, MacPherson P, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Corbett EL, Petrou S. Cost-Effectiveness of Community-based Human Immunodeficiency Virus Self-Testing in Blantyre, Malawi. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Apr 3;66(8):1211-1221. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix983.
- Quaife M, Terris-Prestholt F, Di Tanna GL, Vickerman P. How well do discrete choice experiments predict health choices? A systematic review and meta-analysis of external validity. Eur J Health Econ. 2018 Jan 29. doi: 10.1007/s10198-018-0954-6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Johnson CC, Fonner V, Sands A, Ford N, Obermeyer CM, Tsui S, Wong V, Baggaley R. To err is human, to correct is public health: identifying poor quality testing and misdiagnosis of HIV status. JIAS 2017 Aug; 20(Suppl 6): 21755.
- Johnson CC, Dalal S, Baggaley R, Taegtmeyer M. A public health approach to addressing and preventing misdiagnosis in the scale-up of HIV rapid testing programmes. JIAS 2017 Aug 29;20(Suppl 6):22190.
- Eaton JW, Johnson C, Gregson S. The cost of not re-testing: HIV misdiagnosis in the ART ‘test-and-treat’ era. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2017 Apr 24.
- Johnson, C, Dalal S, Taegtmeyer, M. Finding the public health approach for quality HIV testing in the test and treat era. Forthcoming JIAS special issue.
- Johnson CC, Sands A, Urassa W, Baggaley R. Alert, but not alarmed – a response to “Towards more accurate HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a multi-site evaluation of HIV RDTs and risk factors for false positives”. JIAS 2017 20 (1). January 2017.
- Rutstein SE, Ananworanich J, Fidler S, Johnson C, Sanders E, Sued O, Saez-Cirion A, Pilcher C, Fraser C, Cohen M, Vittoria M, Doherty M, Tucker J. Clinical and public health implications of acute and early HIV detection and treatment: A scoping review. JIAS 2017; 20(1): 21579.
- Kennedy C, Yeh, P, Johnson C, Baggaley R. Should trained lay providers perform HIV testing? A systematic review to inform World Health Organization guidelines. AIDS Care; 2017.
- Flynn, D, Johnson C, Sands A, Wong V, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. Can trained lay providers perform HIV testing services? A review of national HIV testing policies. BMC Research Notes; 2017.
- Baggaley R, Dalal S, Johnson C, Figueroa C, MacDonald V, Mameletzis, I, Rodolph M, Samuelson J, Verster A. Beyond the 90-90-90: Refocusing HIV prevention as part of the global HIV response. JIAS; 2016.
- Dalal, S, Johnson C, Fonner, Kennedy C, Siegfried N, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. Assisted HIV partner notification services: A systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS
- Maman S, Murray KR, Mavedzenge SN, Oluoch L, Sijenje F, Agot K, Thirumurthy H. A qualitative study of secondary distribution of HIV self-test kits by female sex workers in Kenya. PLoS One. 2017; 12(3): e01746
- Maheswaran H, Petrou S, MacPherson P, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Corbett EL, Clarke A. Economic costs and health-related quality of life outcomes of HIV treatment following self- and facility-based HIV testing in a cluster randomised trial. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2017. Mar 17.
- Maheswaran H, Petrou S, MacPherson P, Choko A, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Clarke A, Corbett EL. Cost and quality of life analysis of HIV self-testing and facility-based HIV testing and counselling in Blantyre, Malawi. BMC Medicine; 2016:14:34.
- Thirumurthy H, Masters SH, Mavedzenge SN, Maman S, Omanga E, Agot K. Women are successful in promoting HIV self-testing in Kenyan men. Lancet HIV. 2016 Jun: 3 (6)
- Choko AT, Taegtmeyer M, MacPherson P, Cocker D, Khundi M, Thindwa D, Sambakunsi R, Kumwenda M, Chiumya K, Malema O, Makombe S, Webb E, Corbett EL. Initial Accuracy of HIV Rapid Test Kits Stored in Suboptimal Conditions and Validity of Delayed Reading of Oral Fluid Tests. PLoS One. June 23, 2016.
- Johnson CC, Corbett EL. Lancet commentary on HIVST to scale up couples and partner testing. Lancet HIV 2016 Published Online April 8, 2016, with reference to Harsha Thirumurthy’s article: “Promoting male partner HIV testing and safer sexual decision making through secondary distribution of self-tests by HIV-negative female sex workers and women receiving antenatal and post-partum care in Kenya: a cohort study”.
- Ishikawa, N, Dalal S, Johnson C, Hogan D, Shimbo T, Shaffer N, Pendse R, Ru-Lo, Y, Ghidinelli M, Baggaley R. Should HIV testing for all pregnant women continue? Cost-effectiveness of universal antenatal testing compared to focused approaches across high to very low HIV prevalence settings. JIAS. 2016; 19(1): 21212.
- Easterbrook P, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. HIV and Hepatitis Testing: Global Progress, Challenges, and Future Directions. AIDS Rev. 2016; 18:3-14.
- Witzel C, Weatherburn P, Burns FM, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Rodger AJ. Consolidating emerging evidence surrounding HIVST and HIVSS: a rapid systematic mapping protocol. Systematic Reviews. 2017; 6:72.
- Rutstein SE, Ananworanich J, Fidler S, Johnson C, Sanders EJ, Sued O, Saez-Cirion A, Pilcher CD, Fraser C, Cohen MS, Vitoria M, Doherty M, Tucker JD. Clinical and public health implications of acute and early HIV detection and treatment: a scoping review. JIAS Vol 20, No 1. 2017.
- Choko AT, Kumwenda MK, Johnson C, Sakala DW, Chikalipo MC, Fielding K, Chikovore J, Desmond N and Corbett EL. Acceptability of woman-delivered HIV self-testing to the male partner, and additional interventions: a qualitative study of antenatal care participants in Malawi. JIAS 2017, 20:21610.