Here are some of the recent publications and abstracts by STAR collaborators, related to HIV self-testing:
Thiramurthy H, Masters SH, Mavedzenge SN, Maman S, Omanga E, Agot K. Women are successful in promoting HIV self-testing in Kenyan men. Lancet HIV. 2016 Jun: 3 (6) https://sciencenow.unaids.org/post/hiv-testing-and-treatment-30
Choko AT, Taegtmeyer M, MacPherson P, Cocker D, Khundi M, Thindwa D, Sambakunsi R, Kumwenda M, Chiumya K, Malema O, Makombe S, Webb E, Corbett EL. Initial Accuracy of HIV Rapid Test Kits Stored in Suboptimal Conditions and Validity of Delayed Reading of Oral Fluid Tests. PLOS One. June 23, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0158107
STAR team members Professor Elizabeth Corbett (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine) and Cheryl C Johnson (World Health Organization) wrote a Lancet commentary on HIV self-testing to scale up couples and partner testing, with reference to Harsha Thirumurthy’s article: “Promoting male partner HIV testing and safer sexual decision making through secondary distribution of self-tests by HIV-negative female sex workers and women receiving antenatal and post-partum care in Kenya: a cohort study”.
The following abstracts by STAR collaborators were accepted for the 2017 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) in Seattle:
Indravudh P, Kumwenda M, Dr Neuman M, Chisunkha B, Dr Hatzold H, Nkhoma C, Dr Kalua T, Johnson C, Dr Taegtmeyer M, Professor Corbett L. Providing user support for HIV self-testing beyond instructions-for-use in Malawi.
Indravudh P, d’Elbee M, Kumwenda M, Choko A, Sakala D, Dr Kalua T, Johnson C, Dr Hatzold H, Professor Corbett L, Dr Terris-Prestholt F. Informing HIV self-testing services in Malawi using Discrete Choice Experiments.
Cambiano V, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Revill P, Baggaley R, Corbett EL, Apollo T, Hatzold K, Cowan F, Phillips A. Cost-effectiveness of different delivery approaches for HIV self-testing.
The following abstracts by STAR collaborators were accepted for the 2016 International AIDS Conference in Durban:
- Kumwenda M, Munthali A, Choko A, Chikovore J, Mnliwasa M, Sambakunsi R, Chipungu G, Mwapasa M, Kaswaswa K, Gutteberg T, Corbett EL, Desmond N. The influence of masculinity on HIV ST community intervention: a qualitative evaluation of empirical evidence from Blantyre, Malawi. Accepted for Accepted for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Choko A. Acceptability of woman-delivered HIV self-testing to the male partner: a qualitative study of antenatal clinic-linked participants in Blantyre, Malawi. Accepted for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Figueroa C, Johnson C, Verster A, Dalal S, Baggaley R. Systematic review on HIV self-testing (HIVST) performance and accuracy of results. Accepted with poster for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Madanhire C, Sibanda E, Ruhode N, Hatzold K, Cowan FM, Mavedzenge SN. “Not without us…” – Views on the introduction of HIV self-testing among Health Care workers providing integrated HIV and sexual & reproductive health services. Accepted for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Napierala Mavedzenge S, Sibanda E, Mavengere Y, Dirawo J, Hatzold K, Mugurungi O, Padian N, Cowan F. Acceptability, feasibility, and preference for HIV self-testing in Zimbabwe. Accepted with poster for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Mavengere Y, Sibanda E, Hatzold K, Mugurungi O, Cowan FM, Mavedzenge SN. Can ‘late-read’ of self-test devices be used as a quality assurance measure? Results of a pilot HIV self-test project in Zimbabwe. Accepted for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Lora W, Chipeta E, Desmond N. Understanding coercion in the context of semi-supervised HIV self-testing in urban Blantyre, Malawi. Accepted for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Sibande E. Community-based distribution of HIV self-test kits: results from a pilot of door-to-door distribution of HIV self-test kits in one rural Zimbabwean community. Accepted for International AIDS Conference, 2016, Durban, South Africa