Publications and abstracts
Articles on HIV self-testing by STAR authors are as below.
Funded by STAR
- d’Elbee M, Indravudh PP, Mwenge L, Kumwenda M, Simwinga M, Choko A, Hensen B, Neuman M, Ong J, Sibanda EL, Johnson CC, Hatzold K, Cowan FM, Ayles H, Corbett EL, Terris-Prestholt F. Preferences for linkage to HIV care services following a reactive self-test: discrete choice experiments in Malawi and Zambia. AIDS. June 11, 2018 – Volume Publish Ahead of Print – Issue – p
- Figueroa F, Johnson C, Ford N, Sands A, Dalal S, Meurant R, Prat I, Hatzold K, Urassa W, Baggaley R. Reliability of HIV rapid diagnostic tests for self-testing compared with testing by health-care workers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet HIV 2018. Published online April 24 2018.
- Kumwenda MK, Corbett EL, Chikovore J, Phiri M, Mwale D, Choko AT, Nliwasa M, Sambakunsi R, Taegtmeyer M, Gutteberg TJ, Munthali A, Desmond N. Discordance, Disclosure and Normative Gender Roles: Barriers to Couple Testing Within a Community-Level HIV Self-Testing Intervention in Urban Blantyre, Malawi. AIDS Behav. 2018 Feb 6. doi: 10.1007/s10461-018-2038-0. [Epub ahead of print]
- Indravudh PP, Choko AT, Corbett EL. Scaling up HIV self-testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a review of technology, policy and evidence. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2018 Feb;31(1):14-24. doi: 10.1097/QCO.0000000000000426.
- Mwenge L, Sande L, Mangenah C, Ahmed N, Kanema S, d’Elbée M, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Sibanda E, Mwinga A, Kalua T, Cowan FM, Corbett EL, Ayles H, Maheswaran H, Terris-Prestholt F. Costs of facility-based HIV testing in Zambia, Malawi and Zimbabwe. PLoS ONE (special issue), (10): e0185740. 16th October 2017.
- Johnson C, Kennedy C, Fonner V, Siegfried N, Figueroa C, Dalal S, Sands A, Baggaley R. Examining the effects of HIV self-testing compared to standard HIV testing services: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2017, 20:21594.
- Indravudh PP, Sibanda EL, d’Elbée M, Kumwenda MK, Ringwald B, Maringwa G, Simwinga M, Nyirenda LJ, Johnson CC, Hatzold K, Terris-Prestholt F, Taegtmeyer M. ‘I will choose when to test, where I want to test’: investigating young people’s preferences for HIV self-testing in Malawi and Zimbabwe. AIDS . 31:S203-S212, July 1, 2017.
- Maheswaran H, Clarke A, MacPherson P, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Corbett EL, Petrou S. Cost-Effectiveness of Community-based Human Immunodeficiency Virus Self-Testing in Blantyre, Malawi. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Apr 3;66(8):1211-1221. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix983.
- Quaife M, Terris-Prestholt F, Di Tanna GL, Vickerman P. How well do discrete choice experiments predict health choices? A systematic review and meta-analysis of external validity. Eur J Health Econ. 2018 Jan 29. doi: 10.1007/s10198-018-0954-6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Johnson CC, Fonner V, Sands A, Ford N, Obermeyer CM, Tsui S, Wong V, Baggaley R. To err is human, to correct is public health: identifying poor quality testing and misdiagnosis of HIV status. JIAS 2017 Aug; 20(Suppl 6): 21755.
- Johnson CC, Dalal S, Baggaley R, Taegtmeyer M. A public health approach to addressing and preventing misdiagnosis in the scale-up of HIV rapid testing programmes. JIAS 2017 Aug 29;20(Suppl 6):22190.
- Eaton JW, Johnson C, Gregson S. The cost of not re-testing: HIV misdiagnosis in the ART ‘test-and-treat’ era. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2017 Apr 24.
- Johnson, C, Dalal S, Taegtmeyer, M. Finding the public health approach for quality HIV testing in the test and treat era. Forthcoming JIAS special issue.
- Johnson CC, Sands A, Urassa W, Baggaley R. Alert, but not alarmed – a response to “Towards more accurate HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a multi-site evaluation of HIV RDTs and risk factors for false positives”. JIAS 2017 20 (1). January 2017.
- Rutstein SE, Ananworanich J, Fidler S, Johnson C, Sanders E, Sued O, Saez-Cirion A, Pilcher C, Fraser C, Cohen M, Vittoria M, Doherty M, Tucker J. Clinical and public health implications of acute and early HIV detection and treatment: A scoping review. JIAS 2017; 20(1): 21579.
- Kennedy C, Yeh, P, Johnson C, Baggaley R. Should trained lay providers perform HIV testing? A systematic review to inform World Health Organization guidelines. AIDS Care; 2017.
- Flynn, D, Johnson C, Sands A, Wong V, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. Can trained lay providers perform HIV testing services? A review of national HIV testing policies. BMC Research Notes; 2017.
- Baggaley R, Dalal S, Johnson C, Figueroa C, MacDonald V, Mameletzis, I, Rodolph M, Samuelson J, Verster A. Beyond the 90-90-90: Refocusing HIV prevention as part of the global HIV response. JIAS; 2016.
- Dalal, S, Johnson C, Fonner, Kennedy C, Siegfried N, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. Assisted HIV partner notification services: A systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS
- Maman S, Murray KR, Mavedzenge SN, Oluoch L, Sijenje F, Agot K, Thirumurthy H. A qualitative study of secondary distribution of HIV self-test kits by female sex workers in Kenya. PLoS One. 2017; 12(3): e0174629.
- Maheswaran H, Petrou S, MacPherson P, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Corbett EL, Clarke A. Economic costs and health-related quality of life outcomes of HIV treatment following self- and facility-based HIV testing in a cluster randomised trial. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2017. Mar 17.
- Maheswaran H, Petrou S, MacPherson P, Choko A, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Clarke A, Corbett EL. Cost and quality of life analysis of HIV self-testing and facility-based HIV testing and counselling in Blantyre, Malawi. BMC Medicine; 2016:14:34.
- Thirumurthy H, Masters SH, Mavedzenge SN, Maman S, Omanga E, Agot K. Women are successful in promoting HIV self-testing in Kenyan men. Lancet HIV. 2016 Jun: 3 (6)
- Choko AT, Taegtmeyer M, MacPherson P, Cocker D, Khundi M, Thindwa D, Sambakunsi R, Kumwenda M, Chiumya K, Malema O, Makombe S, Webb E, Corbett EL. Initial Accuracy of HIV Rapid Test Kits Stored in Suboptimal Conditions and Validity of Delayed Reading of Oral Fluid Tests. PLoS One. June 23, 2016.
- Johnson CC, Corbett EL. Lancet commentary on HIVST to scale up couples and partner testing. Lancet HIV 2016 Published Online April 8, 2016, with reference to Harsha Thirumurthy’s article: “Promoting male partner HIV testing and safer sexual decision making through secondary distribution of self-tests by HIV-negative female sex workers and women receiving antenatal and post-partum care in Kenya: a cohort study”.
- Ishikawa, N, Dalal S, Johnson C, Hogan D, Shimbo T, Shaffer N, Pendse R, Ru-Lo, Y, Ghidinelli M, Baggaley R. Should HIV testing for all pregnant women continue? Cost-effectiveness of universal antenatal testing compared to focused approaches across high to very low HIV prevalence settings. JIAS. 2016; 19(1): 21212.
- Easterbrook P, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. HIV and Hepatitis Testing: Global Progress, Challenges, and Future Directions. AIDS Rev. 2016; 18:3-14.
- Witzel C, Weatherburn P, Burns FM, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Rodger AJ. Consolidating emerging evidence surrounding HIVST and HIVSS: a rapid systematic mapping protocol. Systematic Reviews. 2017; 6:72.
- Rutstein SE, Ananworanich J, Fidler S, Johnson C, Sanders EJ, Sued O, Saez-Cirion A, Pilcher CD, Fraser C, Cohen MS, Vitoria M, Doherty M, Tucker JD. Clinical and public health implications of acute and early HIV detection and treatment: a scoping review. JIAS Vol 20, No 1. 2017.
- Choko AT, Kumwenda MK, Johnson C, Sakala DW, Chikalipo MC, Fielding K, Chikovore J, Desmond N and Corbett EL. Acceptability of woman-delivered HIV self-testing to the male partner, and additional interventions: a qualitative study of antenatal care participants in Malawi. JIAS 2017, 20:21610.