Publications and abstracts
STAR Researchers love to engage in direct discussions and share their findings early on international conferences and meetings. Download our list of abstracts and other dissemination meetings.
- Cambiano V, Choko A, Sibanda E, Maheswaran H, Sande L. Morrison M, Shewchuk T, Garnett G, Revill P, Thirumurthy H, Wanyenze R, Bansi-Matharu L, Terris-Prestholt F, Cowan F, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Corbett EL & Phillips A. Value of secondary distribution of HIV self-test kits to male partners of women attending antenatal clinics. JIAS
- Mwinga A, Neuman M, Kapaku K, Sigande S, Gotsche C, Maluzi K, Kosloff B, Johnson C, Hatzhold K, Corbett EL & Ayles H. Sensitivity and specificity of OraQuick® HIV self-test: a cross-sectional clinical performance study in intended users in urban and rural Zambia including a 4th generation laboratory reference standard algorithm. Clin Infect Dis.
- Neuman M, Hensen B, Mwinga A, Chintu N, Fielding K, Handima N, Hatzold K, Johnson C, Mulubwa C, Nalubamba M, Otte im Kampe E, Simwinga M, Tsamwa D, Corbett EL & Ayles H. Does community-based distributor-driven HIV self-testing in community and facility settings increase uptake of HIV testing? Results of a pair-matched cluster randomised trial in Zambia. AIDS
- Choko AT, Roshandel G, Conserve D, Corbett EL, Fielding K, Hemming K, Malekzadeh R, Weijer C. Ethical issues in cluster randomized trials conducted in low- and middle-income countries: an analysis of two case studies. Trials
- Nyirenda L, Bruce-Kumar M, Theobald S, Sarker M, Simwinga M, Kumwenda M, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Corbett EL, Sibanda E, Taegtmeyer M. Using research networks to generate trustworthy qualitative public health research findings from multiple contexts. BMC Medical Research Methodology. DOI:10.1186/s12874-019-0895-5
- Sibanda EL, NeumanM, Tumushime M, Mangenah C, Hatzold K, Watadzaushe C, Mutseta MN, Dirawo J, Napierala S, Ncube G, Terris-Prestholt F, Taegtmeyer M, Johnson C, Fielding K, Weiss HA, Corbett EL & Cowan FM. Community-based HIV self-testing: a cluster-randomised trial of supply-side financial incentives and time-trend analysis of linkage to antiretroviral therapy in Zimbabwe. PLoS Med
- Indravudh P, Hensen B, Nzawa R, Chilongosi R, Nyirenda R, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Fielding K, Corbett EL & Neuman M. Whom does community-based HIV self-testing reach? A population-based study investigating causal factors associated with self-testing in rural Malawi. JAIDS
- Johnson C, Kumwenda M, Meghji J, Choko A, Phiri M, Hatzold K, Baggaley R, Taegtmeyer T, Terris-Prestholt F, Desmond N &Corbett EL. ’Too old to test?’: A life course approach to HIV-related risk and self-testing among midlife-older adults in Malawi AIDS Behaviour
- Choko AT, Jamil MS, MacPherson P, Corbett EL, Chitembo L, Ingold H, Bermudez Aza, d’Elbee M, DiCarlo M, Majam M, Wong W, Baggaley R & Johnson CJ. Measuring linkage to HIV treatment services following HIV self-testing in low income settings. JIAS, volume 23, issue 6. https://doi.org/10.1002/jia2.25548
- Johnson C, Neuman M, MacPherson P, Choko A, Quinn C, Wong VJ, Hatzold K, Nyirenda R, Ncube G, Baggaley R, Terris-Prestholt F & Corbett EL. Use and awareness of and willingness to self-test for HIV: an analysis of cross-sectional population-based surveys in Malawi and Zimbabwe. BMC Public Health
- Indravudh P, Nzawa R, Chilongosi R, Nyirenda R, Hatzold K, Fielding K & Corbett EL. Who is reached by HIV self-testing? Individual factors associated with self-testing within a community-based programme in rural Malawi. Pub Med. 1;85(2):165-173. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002412
AIDS Conference Virtual (July 6th – 10th 2020, San Francisco, USA)
- d’Elbée M, MakhethaMC, Maphatsoe-Pule KM, Taole M, Nako S, Nkomo C, Machinda A, Tlhomola M, Sande L, Corbett EL, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Meyer-Rath G, Terris-Prestholt F. Preparing for scale-up: The changing cost and cost-effectiveness of HIV self-testing integration into community-based mobile outreach and index HIV testing models in Lesotho. Preparing for scale-up: The changing cost and cost-effectiveness of HIV self-testing integration into community-based mobile outreach and index HIV testing models in Lesotho.24th International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2020), San Francisco, USA
- Matsimela K, Sande L, d’Elbée M, Majam M, Phiri J, Zishiri V, Hatzold K, Johnson C, Chidarikire T, Terris-Prestholt F, Meyer-Rath G. The varying cost of facility-based HIV self-test distribution across urban and rural districts in South Africa. 24th International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2020), San Francisco, USA (submitted)
- Sande LA, Choko AT, Nyirenda G, Chilongosi R, Mphande S, Nyirenda R, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Fielding K, Corbett EL, Terris-Prestholt F. Reaching partners through secondary distribution of HIV self-testing in Malawi: A cost analysis of a pragmatic cluster-randomized trial. 24th International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2020), San Francisco, USA
- MulubwaC, Mee P, Sigande L, Neuman M, Hensen B, Mwinga A, Hatzold K, Chiti B, Simwinga M, Johnson C, Corbett EL, Ayles H. Secondary distribution of HIVST kits in different clinical setting: a cohort study in Zambia.24th International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2020), San Francisco, USA
- Adeagbo OA, Dlamini N, Xulu S, Gumede D, Herbst C, Dreyer J, Chimbindi N, Okesola N, Harling G, Sherr L, McGrath N, Cowan F, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Subedar H, Corbett EL, Seeley J, Shahmanesh M.. Acceptability of a Peer-to-peer delivery of HIV Self-testing and Sexual Health Information to Support HIV Prevention among Young Women in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. 24th International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2020), San Francisco, USA
- Adeagbo OA, Mthiyane TN, Herbst C, Mee P, Newman M, Dreyer J, Chimbindi N, Smit T, Okesola N, Seeley J, Cowan F, Corbett L& Shahmanesh M. Cluster randomised controlled trial to determine the effect of peer delivery HIV self-testing to support linkage to HIV prevention among young women in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: a study protocol. BMJ Open. 2019 Dec 23;9(12): e033435. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-033435. PMID: 31874891
- Napierala S, Desmond N, Kumwenda M, Tumushime M, Sibanda EL, Indravudh P, Hatzold K, Johnson C, Baggaley R, Corbett EL & Cowan FM. HIV self-testing services for female sex workers, Malawi and Zimbabwe and Malawi. Bull WHO. 2019 Nov 1;97(11):764-776. doi: 10.2471/BLT.18.223560. Epub 2019 Sep 3. PMID:31673192
- Indravudh PP, Fielding K, Kumwenda MK, Nzawa R, Chilongosi R, Desmond N, Nyirenda R, Johnson CC, Baggaley RC, Hatzold K, Terris-Prestholt F & Corbett EL. Community-led delivery of HIV self-testing to improve HIV testing, ART initiation and broader social outcomes in rural Malawi: study protocol for a cluster-randomised trial. BMC Infect Dis. 2019 Sep 18;19(1):814. doi: 10.1186/s12879-019-4430-4.PMID: 31533646
- Phillips A, Cambiano V, Nakagawa F, Bansi-Matharu L, Wilson D, Jani I, Apollo T, Sculpher M, Hallett T, Kerr C, van Oosterhout J, Eaton J, Estill J, Williams B, Doi N, Cowan F, Keiser O, Ford D, Hatzold K, Barnabas R, Ayles H, Rath GM, Nelson L, Johnson C, Baggaley R, Fakoya A, Jahn A & Revill P. Cost-per-diagnosis as a metric for monitoring cost-effectiveness of HIV testing programmes in low-income settings in southern Africa: health economic and modelling analysis. J Int. AIDS Soc. 2019, 22: e25325 https://doi.org/10.1002/jia2.25325
- Choko AT, Candfield S, Maheswaran H, Lepine A, Corbett EL and Fielding K. The effect of demand-side financial incentives for increasing linkage into HIV treatment and voluntary medical male circumcision: A systematic review and meta- analysis of randomised controlled trials in low- and middle-income countries. PLoS ONE. 2018, 13(11): e0207263. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0207263
- Choko A, Corbett EL, Stallard N, Maheswaran H, Lepine A, Johnson CC, Sakala D, Kalua T, Kumwenda M, Hayes R, Fielding K. HIV self-testing alone or with additional interventions, including financial incentives, and linkage to care or prevention among male partners of antenatal care clinic attendees in Malawi: An adaptive multi-arm, multi-stage cluster randomised trial. PLos Med. 16(1): e1002719. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002719
JIAS Special Issue: Realizing the Realizing the potential of HIV self-testing for Africa: lessons learned from the STAR project
Guest Editors: Vincent J Wong, Nathan Ford, Kawango Agot
Supplement Editor: Anna Grimsrud
- Cambiano V, Johnson CC, Hatzold K, Terris-Prestholt F, Maheswaran H, Thirumurthy H, Guerreo C, Cowan FM, Sibanda EL, Ncube G, Revill P, Corbett EL and Phillips A. The impact and cost-effectiveness of community-based HIV self-testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a health economic and modelling analysis. Working Group on Cost Effectiveness of HIV self-testing in Southern Africa. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Mar 1;22(S1). DOI: doi.org/10.1002/jia2.25243
- Eaton J, Terris-Prestholt F, Cambiano V, Sands A, Baggaley R, Hatzold K, Corbett E, Kalua T, Jahn A, Johnson C. Optimizing HIV testing services in sub‐Saharan Africa: cost and performance of verification testing with HIV self‐tests and tests for triage. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2019, Vol: 22, ISSN: 1758-2652
- Ingold H, Mwerinde O, Ross AL, Leach R, Corbett EL, Hatzold K, Johnson C, Baggaley R, Ncube G and Nyirenda R. The Self‐Testing AfRica (STAR) Initiative: accelerating global access and scale‐up of HIV self‐testing. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019, 22: e25249
- Hatzold K, Gudukeya S, Mutseta MN, Chilongosi R, Nalubamba M, Nkhoma C, Munkombwe H, Munjoma M, Mkandawire P, Mabhunu V, Smith G, Madidi N, Ahmed H, Kambeu T, Stankard P, Johnson C, Corbett EL. HIV self-testing: breaking the barriers to uptake of testing among men and adolescents in sub-Saharan Africa, experiences from STAR demonstration projects in Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe. J Int AIDS Soc [Internet]. 2019 Mar 1 [cited 2020 Mar 16];22 Suppl 1(S1):e25244
- Simwinga M, Kumwenda MK, Dacombe RJ, Kayira L, Muzumara A, Johnson CC, Indravudh P, Sibanda E, Nyirenda L, Hatzold K, Corbett EL, Ayles H, Taegtmeyer M. Ability to understand and correctly follow HIV self-test kit instructions for use: applying the cognitive interview technique in Malawi and Zambia. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Mar 1;22(S1)
- Kumwenda MK, Johnson CC, Choko AT, Lora W, Sibande W, Sakala D, Indravudh P, Chilongosi R, Baggaley R, Nyirenda R, Taegtmeyer M, Hatzold K, Desmond N, Corbett EL. Exploring social harms during distribution of HIV self-testing kits using mixed-methods approaches in Malawi. J Int AIDS Soc [Internet]. 2019 Mar;22 Suppl 1(S1):e25251.
- Watson V, Dacombe RJ, Williams C, Edwards T, Adams ER, Johnson CC, Mutseta M, Corbett E, Cowan F, Ayles H, Hatzold K, MacPherson P, Taegtmeyer M. Re-reading of OraQuick HIV-1/2 rapid antibody test results: quality assurance implications for HIV self-testing programmes. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Mar 1;22(S1) e25234. Doi: 10.1002/jia2.25234
- Dacombe RJ, Watson V, Nyirenda L, Madanhire C, Simwinga M, Chepuka L, Johnson C, Corbett E, Hatzold K, Taegtmeyer M. Regulation of HIV self-testing in Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe: a qualitative study with key stakeholders. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Mar 1;22(S1)
- Neuman M, Taegtmeyer M, Hatzold K, Johnson CC, Weiss HA, Fielding K. Challenges in measurement of linkage following HIV self-testing: examples from the STAR Project. J Int AIDS Soc [Internet]. 2019 Mar 1 [cited 2020 Mar 16];22 Suppl 1(S1):e25238. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/309074
- Sibanda EL, d’Elbée M, Maringwa G, Ruhode N, Tumushime M, Madanhire C, Ong J, Indravudh P, Watadzaushe C, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Taegtmeyer M, Hargreaves JR, Corbett EL, Cowan FM, Terris-Prestholt F. Applying user preferences to optimize the contribution of HIV self-testing to reaching the “first 90” target of UNAIDS Fast-track strategy: results from discrete choice experiments in Zimbabwe. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Mar 1;22(S1)
- Mangenah C, Mwenge L, Sande L, Ahmed L, d’Elbée M, Chiwawa P, Chigwenah T, Kanema S, Mutseta M, Nalubamba M, Chilongosi R, Indravudh P, Sibanda E, Neuman M, Ncube G, Ong JJ, Mugurungi O, Hatzold K, Johnson C, Ayles H, Corbett EL, Cowan FM, Maheswaran H, Terris-Prestholt F. Economic cost analysis of community-based distribution of HIV self-test kits in Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe. J Int AIDS Soc. 2019
- Choko AT, Kumwenda MK, Johnson CC, Sakala DW, Chikalipo MC, Fielding K, Chikovore J, Desmond N, Corbett EL. Acceptability of woman‐delivered HIV self‐testing to the male partner, and additional interventions: a qualitative study of antenatal care participants in Malawi. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20(1):21610. Doi: [10.7448/IAS.20.1.21610]
- Joseph E, Barr-DiChiara M, Neuman M, Babbar S, Quinn C, Jamil M, Rachel Baggaley, R & Johnson C. HIV self-testing – where do we stand?: A review of HIV self-testing policies in 45 countries. Poster presentation
- Johnson C & Meyer-Rath G. Costing workshop on HIVST and PrEP for policy makers
- Terris-Prestholt F & Meyer-Rath G. Global village presentation on costing HIVST
AIDS Impact (29-31 July, London)
- Neuman M, Nzawa R, Fielding K, Hatzold K, Hensen B, Indravudh P, Johnson C, Kumwenda M, Mee P, Mulubwa C, Sigande L, Taegtmeyer M, Ayles H & Corbett EL. HIV-related stigma and uptake of HIV self-testing in Malawi and Zambia. AIDS Impact 2019, London, UK
- STAR Econ team, Ahmed N, Mangenah C, Mwenge L, Sande L, Rotolo S, d’Elbée M, Mutseta M, Munkombwe H, Chilongosi R, Ong J J, Hatzold K, Johnson C, Corbett EL, Cowan F M, Ayles H, Maheswaran H, Terris-Prestholt F. Economic cost analyses of HIV self-test kits distribution in Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe: Community-based, Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision and Health facility-based models. AIDS Impact 2019, London, UK
- d’Elbée M, Indravudh PP, Mwenge L, Kumwenda MM Simwinga M, Choko AT, Hensen B, Neuman M, Ong JJ, Sibanda EL, Johnson CC, Hatzold K, Cowan FM, Ayles H, Corbett EL, Terris-Prestholt F, Preferences for linkage to HIV care services following a reactive self-test: discrete choice experiments in Malawi and Zambia. AIDS (2018); DOI: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000001918; PMID: 29894386
- Desmond N, Nagelkerke N, Lora W, Chipeta E, Sambo M, Kumwenda M, Corbett EL, Taegtemeyer M, Seeley J, Lalloo DG, Theobald S. Measuring sexual behaviour in Malawi: a triangulation of three data collection instruments. BMC Public Health (2018) 18(1):807. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-018-5717-x. PMID: 29954360 Open Access
- Kumwenda M K, Corbett E L, Chikovore J, Phiri M, Mwale D, Choko A T, Nliwasa M, Sambakunsi R, Taegtmeyer M, Gutteberg T J, Munthali A, Desmond N. Discordance Disclosure and Normative Gender Roles: Barriers to Couple Testing Within a Community-Level HIV Self-Testing Intervention in Urban Blantyre, Malawi. AIDS Behav (2018). DOI: 10.1007/s10461-018-2038-0; PMID: 29411227 Open Access
- Sande L, Maheswaran H, Mangenah C, Mwenge L, Indravudh P, Mkandawire P, Ahmed N, d’Elbee M, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Corbett E L, Neuman M, Terris-Prestholt F. Costs of accessing HIV testing services among rural Malawi communities. AIDS Care (2018). 30(sup3):27-36. DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2018.1479032 Open Access
- Neuman M, Indravudh P, Chilongosir, d’Elbée M, Desmond N, Fielding K, Hensen B, Johnson C, Mkandawire P, Mwinga A, nalubambam, Ncube G, Nyirenda L, Nyrienda R, Otte im Kampe E, Taegtmeyer M, Terris-Prestholt F, Weiss HA, Hatzold K, Ayles H, Corbett EL. The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of community-based lay distribution of HIV self-tests in increasing uptake of HIV testing among adults in rural Malawi and rural and peri-urban Zambia: protocol for STAR (Self-Testing for africa) cluster randomized evaluations. BMC Public Health 2018 18:1234 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-6120-3
- Figueroa C, Johnson C, FordN, Sands A, Dalal S, Meurant R, Prat I, Hatzold K, Urassa W, Baggaley R. Reliability of HIV rapid diagnostic tests for self-testing compared with testing by health-care workers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet HIV, Published Online April 24, 2018 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ S2352-3018(18)30044-4
- Indravudh PP, Choko AT, Corbett EL. Scaling up HIV self-testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a review of technology, policy and evidence. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, 2018:31(1):14-24. doi:10.1097/QCO.0000000000000426
- Mwenge L, Sande L, Mangenah C, Ahmed N, Kanema S, d’Elbee M, Sibanda E, Kalua T, Ncube G, Johnson C, Hatzold K, Cowan FM, Corbett EL, Ayles H, Maheswaran H and Terris-Prestholt F. Costs of facility-based HIV testing in Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Plos One 2017; 12(10): e0185740. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0185740
- Indravudh PP, Sibanda EL, d’Elbée M, Kumwenda MK, Ringwald B, Maringwa G, Simwinga M, Nyirenda LJ, Johnson CC, Hatzold K, Terris-Prestholt F, Taegtmeyer M. ‘I will choose when to test, where I want to test’: investigating young people’s preferences for HIV self-testing in Malawi and Zimbabwe. AIDS. 2017;31(Suppl 3):S203-S212
- Johnson CC, Kennedy C, Fonner V, Siegfried N, Figueroa C, Dalal S, Sands A and Baggaley R. Examining the effects of HIV self-testing compared to standard HIV testing services: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20(1):21594. doi:10.7448/IAS.20.1.21594
- Choko AT, MacPherson P, Webb EL, Willey BA, Feasy H, Sambakunsi R, Mdolo A, Makombe SD, Desmond N, Hayes R, Maheswaran H, Corbett EL. Uptake, Accuracy, Safety, and Linkage into Care over Two Years of Promoting Annual Self-Testing for HIV in Blantyre, Malawi: A Community-Based Prospective Study. PLOS Medicine. 2015;12(9):e1001873. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001873
- Cambiano V, Ford D, Mabugu T, Napierala Mavedzenge S, Miners A, Mugurungi O, Nakagawa F, Revill P, Phillips A. Assessment of the Potential Impact and Cost-effectiveness of Self-Testing for HIV in Low- Income Countries. J Infect Dis. 2015 Aug 15;212(4):570-7. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiv040
Further publications from STAR Authors
- Maheswaran H, Clarke A, MacPherson P, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Corbett EL, Petrou S. Cost-Effectiveness of Community-based Human Immunodeficiency Virus Self-Testing in Blantyre, Malawi. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Apr 3;66(8):1211-1221. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix983.
- Quaife M, Terris-Prestholt F, Di Tanna GL, Vickerman P. How well do discrete choice experiments predict health choices? A systematic review and meta-analysis of external validity. Eur J Health Econ. 2018 Jan 29. doi: 10.1007/s10198-018-0954-6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Johnson CC, Fonner V, Sands A, Ford N, Obermeyer CM, Tsui S, Wong V, Baggaley R. To err is human, to correct is public health: identifying poor quality testing and misdiagnosis of HIV status. JIAS 2017 Aug; 20(Suppl 6): 21755.
- Johnson CC, Dalal S, Baggaley R, Taegtmeyer M. A public health approach to addressing and preventing misdiagnosis in the scale-up of HIV rapid testing programmes. JIAS 2017 Aug 29;20(Suppl 6):22190.
- Eaton JW, Johnson C, Gregson S. The cost of not re-testing: HIV misdiagnosis in the ART ‘test-and-treat’ era. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2017 Apr 24.
- Johnson, C, Dalal S, Taegtmeyer, M. Finding the public health approach for quality HIV testing in the test and treat era. Forthcoming JIAS special issue.
- Johnson CC, Sands A, Urassa W, Baggaley R. Alert, but not alarmed – a response to “Towards more accurate HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a multi-site evaluation of HIV RDTs and risk factors for false positives”. JIAS 2017 20 (1). January 2017.
- Rutstein SE, Ananworanich J, Fidler S, Johnson C, Sanders E, Sued O, Saez-Cirion A, Pilcher C, Fraser C, Cohen M, Vittoria M, Doherty M, Tucker J. Clinical and public health implications of acute and early HIV detection and treatment: A scoping review. JIAS 2017; 20(1): 21579.
- Kennedy C, Yeh, P, Johnson C, Baggaley R. Should trained lay providers perform HIV testing? A systematic review to inform World Health Organization guidelines. AIDS Care; 2017.
- Flynn, D, Johnson C, Sands A, Wong V, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. Can trained lay providers perform HIV testing services? A review of national HIV testing policies. BMC Research Notes; 2017.
- Baggaley R, Dalal S, Johnson C, Figueroa C, MacDonald V, Mameletzis, I, Rodolph M, Samuelson J, Verster A. Beyond the 90-90-90: Refocusing HIV prevention as part of the global HIV response. JIAS; 2016.
- Dalal, S, Johnson C, Fonner, Kennedy C, Siegfried N, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. Assisted HIV partner notification services: A systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS
- Maman S, Murray KR, Mavedzenge SN, Oluoch L, Sijenje F, Agot K, Thirumurthy H. A qualitative study of secondary distribution of HIV self-test kits by female sex workers in Kenya. PLoS One. 2017; 12(3): e01746
- Maheswaran H, Petrou S, MacPherson P, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Corbett EL, Clarke A. Economic costs and health-related quality of life outcomes of HIV treatment following self- and facility-based HIV testing in a cluster randomised trial. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2017. Mar 17.
- Maheswaran H, Petrou S, MacPherson P, Choko A, Kumwenda F, Lalloo DG, Clarke A, Corbett EL. Cost and quality of life analysis of HIV self-testing and facility-based HIV testing and counselling in Blantyre, Malawi. BMC Medicine; 2016:14:34.
- Thirumurthy H, Masters SH, Mavedzenge SN, Maman S, Omanga E, Agot K. Women are successful in promoting HIV self-testing in Kenyan men. Lancet HIV. 2016 Jun: 3 (6)
- Choko AT, Taegtmeyer M, MacPherson P, Cocker D, Khundi M, Thindwa D, Sambakunsi R, Kumwenda M, Chiumya K, Malema O, Makombe S, Webb E, Corbett EL. Initial Accuracy of HIV Rapid Test Kits Stored in Suboptimal Conditions and Validity of Delayed Reading of Oral Fluid Tests. PLoS One. June 23, 2016.
- Johnson CC, Corbett EL. Lancet commentary on HIVST to scale up couples and partner testing. Lancet HIV 2016 Published Online April 8, 2016, with reference to Harsha Thirumurthy’s article: “Promoting male partner HIV testing and safer sexual decision making through secondary distribution of self-tests by HIV-negative female sex workers and women receiving antenatal and post-partum care in Kenya: a cohort study”.
- Ishikawa, N, Dalal S, Johnson C, Hogan D, Shimbo T, Shaffer N, Pendse R, Ru-Lo, Y, Ghidinelli M, Baggaley R. Should HIV testing for all pregnant women continue? Cost-effectiveness of universal antenatal testing compared to focused approaches across high to very low HIV prevalence settings. JIAS. 2016; 19(1): 21212.
- Easterbrook P, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Baggaley R. HIV and Hepatitis Testing: Global Progress, Challenges, and Future Directions. AIDS Rev. 2016; 18:3-14.
- Witzel C, Weatherburn P, Burns FM, Johnson C, Figueroa C, Rodger AJ. Consolidating emerging evidence surrounding HIVST and HIVSS: a rapid systematic mapping protocol. Systematic Reviews. 2017; 6:72.
- Rutstein SE, Ananworanich J, Fidler S, Johnson C, Sanders EJ, Sued O, Saez-Cirion A, Pilcher CD, Fraser C, Cohen MS, Vitoria M, Doherty M, Tucker JD. Clinical and public health implications of acute and early HIV detection and treatment: a scoping review. JIAS Vol 20, No 1. 2017.
- Choko AT, Kumwenda MK, Johnson C, Sakala DW, Chikalipo MC, Fielding K, Chikovore J, Desmond N and Corbett EL. Acceptability of woman-delivered HIV self-testing to the male partner, and additional interventions: a qualitative study of antenatal care participants in Malawi. JIAS 2017, 20:21610.